Join an ASAS class to participate in meal preparation, with an emphasis on healthy habits and a “farm to table” approach. Volunteers can participate in one of the following ways:
- Observe the curriculum portion of the class and then join in the hands-on cooking process. Volunteers will be paired with 1-2 students and students will “learn by teaching,” showcasing what they’ve learned in class as the volunteer serves as the “sous chef.”
- Depending on the volunteer’s areas of expertise, s/he would also be welcome to augment the curriculum portion of the class with a brief presentation of how s/he has worked in a relevant field and/or would be invited to talk about his/her interest in cooking and nutrition. Topics can include:
- Kitchen Basics – Working in the Kitchen
- Reading and Understanding Nutrition Labels
- Knowledge and use of Vegetable/Fruits
- Protein – Where can you find it? What does it do?
- Understanding and Choosing Whole Grains
- Understanding and using Herbs and Spices
- Understanding the effects of Sugar: Where can you find it in foods?
- Understanding and Counting Calories
Time Commitment: 1-2 hours
Location: School Site (Classroom/ Kitchen)